Reading Notes: Ovid's Metamorphoses III, Part B
Notes
- Pygmalion is another interesting one
- and I get that the gods turned Galatea into a human
- but what if she were kept a statue?
- did Pygmalion make a proportional person, or was she made like Michelangelo's David, meant to look proportional based on perspective?
- what if her eyes were still like stone? solid gray-white eyes whose gaze would terrify
- I like to think Pygmalion would still love her, after getting over the initial horror
- like if Victor Frankenstein was not a coward
- I once made a squash plant like that. Its leaves were green with splotches of white, and it climbed the garden fence like a vine. She bore female flowers and I named her Lilith. Her fruit had two skins, yellow over green, and was especially vulnerable to the elements in spite of this, for both skins were delicate. Thus they had to be harvested quickly, and were relatively small. The seeds were half-formed, so it would have been impossible for her to bear a child plant. I must admit she frightened me at first, with her sickly colors and terrible height, but she was a lovely creation.
(Pygmalion and Galatea: Wikimedia Commons)
Bibliography: "Pygmalion" from Ovid's Metamorphoses translated by Tony Kline. Story Source.
-A.

Comments
Post a Comment