Storybook Plan

 I think I am going to use two sources for my story information:

  1. The Project Gutenberg EBook of Myths of the Cherokee by James Mooney. Source.
  2. Myths and Tales of the Southeastern Indians by John R. Swanton. Source.
The first one is for most of my actual story information, whereas I think the second one would be more useful for ideas. For example, I noticed that myths involving opossum usually also reference wolf or terrapin. 

I think for the stories I want to retell "Why the Possum's Tail is Bare," "The Pleiades and the Pine," and "How the Turtle's Back was Cracked." I also would like to create a story to explain opossum's Cherokee name, but I am still not sure how to portray pig, as there aren't many stories about pig. As for structure I think the stories will reference each other and be in chronological order, but will otherwise stand alone. I think the story I am creating could be one that opossum tells to one of the Pleiades (who in turn tell their story) but the other two won't have a storyteller within the story. 

I think the overall message I want the stories to have is change - that things do not stay static and sometimes that's good and sometimes it's bad. The point is that regardless they do change, and that is something you have to accept. The opossum can't regain his bushy tail, and the Pleiades cannot return to being human. People change and so do their circumstances. At least I think that's the message I want, I have a migraine from caffeine withdrawal right now. That is definitely a situation that I want to change as soon as the snow melts.

-A.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Introduction of Two Personas

Reading Notes: Brothers Grimm (Crane), Part B