Week 7 Story: The Wolf and the Raven
There once was a time when all of the animals spoke the same language, and they had rules that they would follow to maintain peace and to keep order in their land. One day, in a vast and prosperous forest, there came a lone wolf who began to disrupt this order. The wolf would kill any who crossed his path, regardless of whether or not he was hungry or provoked. The smaller animals all gathered for a meeting to discuss what was to be done about wolf (for the larger animals like bear could not be bothered).
“Someone has to do something!” cried the deer, who had
organized the meeting, “the woods have become dangerous, and the air smells of
rot from the meat the wolf wastes!”
“But the wolf is dangerous,” says the little, tawny owl, “he
has sharp teeth and claws; and he’s quick and strong. Who would be willing to face
him?”
“I will,” croaks the raven, “I am clever, and my wings are just
as powerful as the wolf’s jaw. I shall get rid of him.”
“Yes, you are clever,” says the deer, “but how will we know
you have not betrayed us, and have indeed bested the wolf?”
“I will bring back his eye as proof,” says the raven, taking
off into the sky.
The raven first flies to his nest, to collect the treasures
he has found from the people – pieces of metal that glint and reflect what is
placed in front of them. He selects two of his shiniest pieces of metal, and
one that is tarnished, and flies to the wolf.
When he finds the wolf, he lands on a tree branch just above
its head, and croaks to get his attention.
“Who’s there?” snarls the wolf, “come out so I can crush
your skull in my teeth!”
“Up here, friend,” says the raven.
“Who are you?” asks the wolf.
“You have not met me, but I have met many wolves,” says raven,
“I am raven, the wolf-catcher.”
“Wolf-catcher?” the wolf repeats.
The raven nods, and swoops down, showing the wolf the shiny
metal pieces. “These are wolves I have already caught,” he explains. He then
shows the wolf the tarnished metal, “and this is the one I will trap you in.”
The wolf pleads with the raven not to put him in the metal, swearing
that if he lets him go, he will never come back.
The raven considers this for a moment, then says, “alright,
but you have to let me take your eye. That way, I shall know if you ever come
back.”
The wolf agrees, and the raven pecks out his eye, flying
back to tell the other animals of his success. Upon his arrival the animals
rejoice, throwing a party in his honor. The wolf is never seen in those woods
again. That is why the animals always share their food with raven, out of
gratitude for his cleverness, and that is why wolves now travel in packs, out
of fear that raven might catch them.

I love this story! You did a great job making it sound like a Native American myth—the behavior explanation at the end and the use of a wolf and raven were both great ideas, and now I'm really curious about your storybook. One thing I was a little curious about was the setting. The use of dialogue effectively communicated characters' thoughts and actions. I also appreciate how well-written your story was. The smooth style, concision, and nearly-perfect grammar made it easy to get engrossed in the story.
ReplyDeleteThis is a fantastic story! Changing the beings involved from a man and a tiger to a wolf and a raven (both animals that I love!) definitely adds something to the story. It also fits in with the raven being considered a trickster. I like how you included the bigger animals, who cannot be killed by the wolf, not attending the meeting. It makes it more personal, almost. I cannot wait to see what other stories you will write!
ReplyDeleteAwesome tale Arthur! I really enjoyed this story of the Wolf and the Raven, especially since I'm taking an Ornithology class where we just read about the cool symbiotic relationship between these two animals! Just one example, when it's really cold out and carcasses are so frozen that the Ravens can't open them up, they lead wolves to the carcasses via vocalizations to open it for them!
ReplyDeleteI really like Native American tales so I'll keep an eye out for your storybook!