Introduction Part 2
Now that we are over halfway through the semester, I thought I should make another introduction. I have gotten quite a lot of comments on my original introduction, so a lot of you will need something new to comment on if you read another one of my stories. That, and I noticed that most of my introduction was not an introduction to myself, but to my pets. Blame it on my small town upbringing; you learn to keep a lot of things to yourself in places like that, if you know what's good for you.
First, something familiar to those of you who read my first introduction - my prosopagnosia (or face-blindness). A lot of comments expressed interest in that, so I'll talk about it more. It is something I was born with, which I learned in cognitive psychology, is uncommon for prosopagnosia. I did not realize I was abnormal until my first psychology class, where I could not see an optical illusion that relied on facial recognition. See, contrary to most artistic interpretations (and the name "face-blindness") I can see faces. I know in theory what a face looks like, it's just that I cannot recall them. To me, everyone might as well have the exact same face. I did not even know there were different types until a roommate told me I have a round face shape. I am told there are also different shaped eyes, lips, noses, etc. and I suppose if I looked closely at two faces side by side I could notice these differences. As you can imagine, this makes recognizing actors, friends, family, even my own reflection, difficult. I typically recognize people by hairstyles, body types, or clothing if they wear something distinct (I once recognized a professor by her shoes).
Now for some topics that are a bit more personal. I am the middle child in my family, with an older sister and a younger brother. My sister works in a hospital lab (the same hospital my mom works at as a nurse) and my brother is homeschooled because he is non-verbal and the schools around us are not equipped to handle kids like him in a constructive way. These are the sort of dinky public schools who cannot even properly accommodate a dyslexic kid, let alone an autistic one, but I digress.
I am pagan, specifically a reconstructionist Heathen, meaning I worship the Old Norse gods. I am the only polytheist in my family, and my sister is the only Christian. Our parents are the sort to let their kids decide what they believe in when they are old enough to do so. Before you ask, no, I am not a fan of the Marvel movies. In fact, I think they're derivative and the grasp on mythology is comical (pun intended). I tend to not speak much about my faith because people (especially in the Bible Belt) tend to not take kindly to it. Panera Bread is currently undergoing a lawsuit over religious discrimination of pagan employees, and that is not an uncommon occurrence to us pagans.
For the last topic, I would like to talk a bit about my partner. They usually prefer anonymity, so I will give them a pseudonym to match my own. Let's call them...Victor. Victor and I are not quite high school sweethearts. We went to the same school, and I dated them throughout high school, but it was mostly one-sided at that time. It is a long story (I will make a separate post if you all are dying to hear it) but the short of it is that Victor was in love with me from the start. It was love at first sight, if you are the type to describe things as such. I was more reluctant to let myself fall for them, but I may have always had feelings for them. I absolutely adore my dearest Victor, and I have a tattoo of a raven they drew for me. Victor even pointed out that in my Week 5 story, I wrote Helios and Icarus as stand-ins for Victor and myself. This was intentional on my part, but I did not realize it was so blatant. The inspiration for this comparison came from when I was venting to Victor about how overwhelmed I was feeling and how my goals felt as far from me as the sun from Icarus. Victor responded by saying that they would be there to catch me, should the wax melt from my wings. I would continue to sing my darling's praises, but they are asleep right now, and I do not want to overshare without permission.
Finally, I will leave you with something else familiar to readers of my first introduction: a pet. Mr. Hyde has gotten much bigger since you last saw him. He is still a very talkative pup, and is still best friends with Mayhem. His nose is dirty because he is a troublemaker and likes to dig. His broad chest reminds me of my previous dog Mojo (another mastiff mix, but with bulldog instead of pit bull) who died at age 16 last December.
-A.

Comments
Post a Comment